Prison Education Articles
- “This is How A Prison’s Debate Team Beat Harvard” This article describes the Bard Prison Initiative, a program to help educate inmates, and how the debate team has gone on to various victories.
- Measuring the Power of a Prison Education This is a short interview with Lois Davis, who is a researcher with the RAND Corporation, about access to grants for higher education in prisons and the current research about the outcomes of this education.
- Huffington Post Articles on Prison Education This links to many articles on education and the prison system.
- US Department of Education Launches Second Chance Pell Pilot Program for Incarcerated Individuals This is an article from the USDE detailing the reasoning behind the Second Chance grants and their intended benefits.
- On Lecturing in a Prison, Where Minds Are Free This article is an educator’s story of his experiencing lecturing in a prison versus Cornell University, and how the students in the prison were more engaged and excited to learn.
- Liberal-Arts Colleges Reach Minds Behind Bars This article details how liberal-arts colleges are helping inmates receive higher education and the way they are able to do that.
- Report Describes Limits of Inmates’ Access to College Education A report detailing the types of college education received and how it is financially supported.
- PrisonEducation.com This website aims to increase education in prisons that also has information on the programs offered to inmates, the schools that are partnering with prisons, and more.
- Institute for Higher Education Policy (IHEP) releases a groundbreaking study in support of the need for access to technology in post-secondary prison education programs. Read brief here…
- Rand Corporation – Evaluating the Effectiveness of Correctional Education A study examining the benefits of correctional education on lowering recidivism rates as well as higher employment rates post-release.
- NC Prison Library Statute
- Barriers to LMS A graphic identifying the barriers and hurdles to adopting Learning Management Systems in Prisons.
- Educational Technology in Corrections 2015 The state and use of educational technology in correctional settings, such as implementation of mobile devices from outside vendors, as of 2015.
More information about COEP can be found at the WiderNet site.